The internet has revolutionized communication. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad on the web. As a parent, your job is to make sure that your kids are safe online. It is very easy for an innocent internet search to lead to some unsavory websites and we have all heard the stories about online predators seeking out children. Helping your kids navigate the internet safely is an active process.
- Spend time with your children on-line. Have them teach you about their favorite on-line destinations
- You can check if a website/video/app is appropriate for children of various ages at commonsensemedia.org
- Keep the computer in a common room in the house, not in your child’s bedroom
- Utilize parental controls provided by your service provider and/or blocking software
- Set clear house rules about internet usage. Set limits like you would for any other type of media
- Make a family media use plan
- Have frequent talks with your children about conversations and messages they receive through the internet
- Remind your children that online information is usually not private
- Check in with your children about the people they ‘meet’ on the internet.
- Remind them that people you meet online are not always who they say they are
- Encourage your child to talk with you right away about anything on the internet that makes them feel uncomfortable
- Set the Rules for Internet Use
- The Internet and Your Family
- How to make Family Media Use Plan
- More on Kids and Internet Safety